Monday, August 11, 2008

pink

the theme of the weekend. on sunday morning. kansas city was covered in women wearing pink. my mom bought me new pink running shorts. and i even had a light pink hat to wear during the race. i have started to wear hats during my runs. it helps with the sweat. dripping. and stinging my eye balls. we hit a little bit of traffic on the way to the race. so i arrived in time to line up to start. with no time to stretch. or warm up. for some reason. i guess i was stressed. and panicked. i thought my time would start when the race began. not when i crossed the start line. silly me. so i rushed. not thinking i could stretch a little more before. when i asked where i should be standing. the girl said people who can run 5 min miles were up front. i said. oh yeah thats me. (ha). and off i went. the run was nice. not too many hills. and there were different bands along the way. to keep me amused. there were a lot of runners with ipods. which i didnt think was allowed. hmm.

one complaint i have regarding the race were the water stations. i dont know if this is a new thing. but the water stations consisted of actual water bottles. and not mini. kids size. but regular size. maybe even the medium size. like the smart water bottle size. so runners would take a swig. then toss the rest on the ground. i couldnt help but just be disgusted with this. here we were running for a good cause. and yet we were being harmful at the same time. the amount. and size of water bottles seemed extremely wasteful. i ended up taking one at the second station. and drank a little more than i should. tried to carry it. but then i too. chucked it to the curb.

i was able to meet my goal. with a 28 minute finish. and now i can use that for the next run. although i think i will just become a professional 5k runner. ha. the record time for women was 17 mins. not sure if i ever want to be that kind of runner. maybe i'll raise my goal to a 10k. someday. for now. i'll just add another lap my evening run.

3 comments:

Joanna said...

Congrats! Your dedication is inspiring.

April said...

nice work. guess all those trips to the SPJ payed off. p.s. i relaly enjoyed our dinner last night. I think we should start (if there isn't one already) the KC chapter of the MSU alumni association. thoughts?

Anonymous said...

I agree about the water bottles! Wasteful! Cups would have been much better.