Tuesday, February 23, 2010

i'm back

when i started this blog. my first post - click here to read - was in regards to GF08. or get fit. its amazing how long ago that first post was launched. and that we still continue to use the get fit theme. i am now back in the swing of daily blogging on my progress. it helps to keep me motivated. and now that i have a goal of a 1/2 marathon in may. its time to get serious! well as serious as i can get. i still wont be able to say no to wine night over running. or an extra piece of cake. and i really dont envision becoming a gym rat. i still think 3 nights a week is big progress. even one night at this point.

i started a mat pilates class about a month before christmas. my first class was a challenge. i found myself sitting and waiting for the teacher to count down the seconds. rather than holding the moves. it was hard. i now can hold most moves for the full time. with a sigh of relief at the end. but my core is really strengthening. which will help in my running.

now for running progress. i have hated the treadmill this winter. i think its the combo of winter blues. there has been so much snow!! and a busy winter months of dog sitting. normally summer is my peak season. excuses, excuses. but i just had not found the joy of running. until last night. i broke through my funk. partially because i had new shoes. they make the difference. its funny, because i tried buying random shoes that were on sale at a discount shoe place. i didnt pay much attention to the type of shoes - i.e. i need stability and cushion because i have weird feet. i tried running with those last week. and my feet were burning. in so much pain. i had to stop and walk the rest of my time. i was miserable. so i was in such delight to find my 3 miles last night was a breeze. i kind of felt like i could have gone longer but didnt want to burn out on the first night back.

i have switched gyms in the last year. and this new place has treadmills with low bars. i dont know why, but i am a little timid to run on these treadmills. i like the side bars to be at my waste. in case i were to trip or fall off. i have something higher to grab onto. fingers crossed i dont have a post soon with a trip to the dentist because i fell off the treadmill.

also, i am listening to the same workout mix from GF08. i need help! i dont listen to workout music regularly. so i dont buy it. or dont think about it until i am there. on the treadmill, skipping through the songs. so let me know if you have any hot tracks to add. or replace my current.

GF10 update: monday = 3 miles, i felt good. maybe could have pushed for more. looking forward to my next run.

goals: march 13, 4 miles for st. pattys day
may 16, 1/2 marathon

3 comments:

Joanna said...

You've inspired me to return to blogging. And I ran 3.5 miles tonight, too! We're gonna look great in our one piece spandex body suits for the 4-mile.

Stacy said...

Oh Jamie, your timing on this blog couldn't be more perfect. I can't tell you why, but you'll know soon enough. Like perhaps next week. :)

Jmeg said...

i have to wait in anticipation a whole week??? is this my care package?