Thursday, February 19, 2009

cause i'm 80

next week. my very special granny will be turning 80. she can still bend. stretch. and kick. granny has been her 'name' since i can remember. even her own children just call her granny. she is a quirky. fun. loving grandma. i am excited to be able to help her celebrate her big birthday. where she will turn 80 years young. we will have an open house at her home. with cake and punch. followed by dinner with the whole family at the nice steak house in town.

i am lucky to be so close to granny. even as a military brat. moving around the country. and world. during the summer i would live at her house. i didnt have too many friends. or cousins my age. so majority of my time was spent with granny. we would make pickels. she would practice new french braids on my hair. we would spend afternoons shopping. she loves to shop. even more than me. the morning routine was my favorite. i would be upset if i slept too long. and missed the trip into town. since she lives a couple miles out of town. every morning we would check her p.o. box. drop off mail at bruno's lumber yard. go by the grocery store if needed. maybe another errand. and be back in time to prepare lunch. to be on the table by noon. on the dot. as bruno would be home. sitting at the table. waiting for lunch. (mind you bruno really is a sweet man. even if i sometimes say otherwise. if he would make a comment about lunch being late. granny would just bark back to shut his trap. just like my mom does. and just as i seem to do sometimes). my second favorite was when the avon lady came. i could pick out anything i wanted from the catalog. i was shy about it. waiting for the invitation to come to the table while she ordered. to pick something out. usually a new lip gloss. or earrings. granny loves buying jewelry with my birthstone.

she is a very special lady. one of my most favorite people. she has the softest skin. and one of the greatest laughs. i am so excited to visit her. and celebrate such a big day.

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Oh, tell her and Bruno I said hi! You're going to have so much fun! Will this trip involve a stop at the Rez?

Joanna said...

She is a very special lady :) Hope you and the fam have a wonderful time! We really need to schedule another float trip up there soon...perhaps this summer?

juls4real said...

Oh, I miss my grandma so much now. She had tons of Avon and sold it to. Remember the lipstick samplers, so tiny? nice blog.

Juls