Monday, March 29, 2010

check please

my alarm went off. and for one of the first times in a long time. i actually didnt roll over. and dread the next step, of getting out of bed. i didnt hit snooze. i lept out of bed, like a five year old on christmas morning. ok, might be a bit of an exaggeration. but i did get up easier than i did today, on this sun filled monday morning. i had checked the weather the night before. only 30% chance of rain in the wee morning hours on saturday. i dressed. ate some energy gummies. (joj i read the directions and you are to eat the whole pack). braided my hair. pinned my bib with my race number to my inside shirt. thinking i might take my top layer off mid way. which was not the case. and sat to wait for my friend lp to arrive (my photographer). and for my parents to pick us up for the race. they came. and they came with zola in tow. and in the pick up truck. anyone who knows me. knows how much i hate the pick up truck. my grandfather keeps passing down these giant trucks to my father. they are so big. and massive. they usually try to force me into long road trips in these monstrosities. but i always refuse. and probably throw a fit like a child. but you would too. and they work. i have never rode more than around town in the truck.

so i drove to the race. in the bus. and mentioned we probably looked like the beverly hillbillies. with our dog and sitting two abreast in the truck. dad and i hopped out. while they parked. and we walked and warmed up on our way to the starting line. just as we weaved our way through the crowd, the rain started. just little drops. that eventually came down harder. and more. i wore my now deemed unlucky nebraska hat (since the girls lost yesterday in the sweet 16 - remind me not to wear it during football season) which helped to keep the rain off my face. my first couple of miles of the race. i was miserable. i was sick of the rain. sick of the hills. and having a hard time getting in the groove. finally the rain stopped. we reached half way. i gulped a little gatorade. and felt the best i had all day. we finished. i finished my first 10K. our time was a little over an hour. which i felt good about. now onto more training. i need to work on my hills since our 1/2 marathon course starts with 2 hills. and some sprints to help with my breathing. and i hope in the mean time. mother nature works on her weather.

5 comments:

KG said...

Yay! Good job! I'm doing my first 10K in a couple of weeks...hope it doesn't rain!

Unknown said...

Great job!

How about the women's brackets...
Just call me
Mcsmall(trash)talk!!!

emmy-ray said...

High five! I admire your determination!

Stacy said...

I'm so proud of my runners!
And you know you miss riding three abreast in the truck. I know I sure do.

katieharris said...

Way to go Jamie! (I'm a little behind in reading blogs) Hope the 1/2 training is going great, you'll rock that race's face off :)