Wednesday, March 12, 2008

french press


a french press, also known as a press pot, coffee press, coffee plunger, is a coffee brewing device popularized by the french. its operation is simple and it produces a stronger coffee than other devices. thank you wikipedia for that charming definition.

my day must begin with a cup of coffee. this usually does not happen until after i have made my stroll into the office. but before i can function properly. i need that jolt of caffeine.

it has become a morning ritual that my friend trog and i head down to the cafe together each morning. he comes by and picks me up with out saying a word. i simple say. ready.

he turned me on to the french press idea after many years of drinking bad coffee. there is something about brewing multiple pots of coffee in the work efficient machines. our company recently had a taste test thinking that by switching brands of coffee it will make life more enjoyable around here. i beg to differ. it dont matter what grounds you put in those machines. the end result will always taste bland. bitter. and like dirty gym socks. so bad that you end up drowning the beverage in creamers and sweeteners to make it bearable.

this brings me to the french press. a delightful little machine that provides a nice. fresh. and smooth cup o' jo every morning. i still add my creamer. but it is only to enhance the flavor. not to drown out the grossness. trog and i are ridiculed by many peers who just dont understand the idea behind it. we probably look like snobs. and that we only drink the best. this is not the case. it is my preference. but not life or death.


GF08 Update: ran 2 miles in 20 mins. a pb. its too nice out this evening so i am treating myself to a few cocktails with friends out on the patio. 3 miles...maybe tomorrow.

1 comment:

Joanna said...

I understand the ridicule. And let's give credit where credit is due...thanks, Le Fox. Ha.