Tuesday, March 11, 2008

the message

hip hop = raw emotions.

there are two elements to hip hop dancing. the first is the mechanics. the second is the illusion.

the message by grandmaster flash is one of my most favorite songs to dance to while in hip hop class. a group of my friends and i go once a week on monday nights for an hour. we are down to one class.

our teacher, choreographer, artist and educator bobby ray has told us from day one his goal is to have us leave the class better on our feet. i am not sure if i have met this goal and with only one class left. not sure it will come.

i have danced my whole life. mainly as a cheerleader. so i was to be bouncy and energetic when i moved. sometimes i tap dance for friends. or impersonate the elaine from seinfeld. i took 2 semesters of modern dance class in college. my background has a wide variety of techniques.

in hip hop i dont feel the same about my dancing. there is no looking up to watch myself in the mirror. instead i concentrate and look down at the floor. i usually do this any time i am learning a dance. otherwise i will focus on something other than the moves and get mixed up. last night for the first time after bobby ray insisted we look up. i watched myself in the mirror.

there i was. a white girl trying to look cool. it also didnt help i was dancing next to a guy who was an advanced student. he also looks the part. i had on my suburban work-out outfit on. not the same as the baggy jeans, old school nikes and oversized t-shirt. oh well. he wont be able to pass "go" at the bars in the power & light district.

as a group my friends and i look good dancing together. we are not ready for our debut on randy jackson's dance crew competition on mtv. our crew name is citizens arrest. and if needed we might be able to step up and serve a fellow crew. be able to stomp the yard. a move used to challenge the other side of the room at the end of the night during class. it includes slapping your thighs and stomping to a rhythm. then repeating until the other side does not return the correct stomp. i have bruises on the tops of my thighs this morning from all the slapping. ouch. settle down there chipmunk.

well, this has been enough slang for one blog reader to handle. but i get a chuckle out of the terminology. try to incorporate as much as possible in my everyday language. well sometimes.

GF08: dance class was last night. after an hour of going over our routines, i accomplish a nice workout. tonight back on the treadmill and track.

2 comments:

Joanna said...

I have a brusie on my palm from last night. But it's still my favorite part of class...and the only time I actually feel like I know what I'm doing

Katie said...

ah this sounds so fun, and makes me wistful of our tap dance class together. Tap Dancing— although entertaining and a grand ol' time with the older foks— just wasn't your cup o' tea. Hip Hop is more fitting for you. I expect to see some stellar moves from you next time we get together.